If you aren’t familiar with brushless RC cars, then I would first recommend you read about the fundamentals about brushless motors here. These motors are more durable, long lasting and provide enough torque for that fast ride.
I have provided a list of electric ready-to-race (RTR) RC cars. It is wise to compare type of RC’s, features, and needed or recommended accessories (Continued Cost) before making a purchase. Also, pay attention to any warranties offered for the cars that comes with ready-to-race (RTR) before making any upgrades yourself.
Top 5 Brushless RC Cars and Trucks
Top 5 Brushles RC Cars are categorized by Type of RC and Top Speed (with upgrades),Build, Upgrade options and Price.
RC Cars Brushless Recommendations
Before we get to technical talk, here’s my opinion -Traxxas does offer a base model with its colorful shell and brushed motor, but if you really want performance (60+ mph) that will rip through the course you’ll need this clear body ready to paint,aluminum suspension with front and rear sway bared beauty.
Sure you can buy lower model and have fun with it but there are few things about the platinum edition that makes it worth the buy,
- If you’re a novice hobbyist,you’ve had a RC truck and looking to upgrade, this model is ideal. Why? because the base model with low center of gravity and smooth chassis is designed and built right. You can boost your signal,fortify, juice up the RC with better batteries and paint it the pattern color you want. You can do that in any other RC truck, this brings me to my next point below.
- Cant beat the price! its not a beginners model and requires bit of an upkeep. Like any basher truck you’ll be upgrading the truck with required accessories and broken parts. That where you’ll be saving some money, platinum edition offers extra parts that bough separately would be around $100 on its own.
- It does come with ESC ( electronic speed control) with three settings normal (forward and reverse),track (no reverse) and training mode (forward and reverse, 50% power).
The next-generation Slash 4X4 Platinum Edition features a Low-CG chassis and high-volume shocks to deliver the ultimate in short-course racing performance. The Platinum Edition arrives fully assembled and ready to complete with your transmitter, receiver, and battery (not included).
In place of the radio system, the Platinum Edition is loaded with Traxxas’ premium option parts and accessories. The Platinum Edition also includes a sealed, silicone-filled differential to replace the installed Torque-Control slipper clutch when track conditions favor a center diff. The Platinum’s standout features are its Low-CG chassis and massive GTR shocks, both all-new for the Slash 4X4 Platinum.
Wheel Diameter2.2 Inches (56mm) Outer, 3.0 Inches (76mm) Inner
Suspension :fully Independent
- Hard-anodized and PTFE-coated aluminum GTR shocks with Titanium Nitride shafts
- Blue-anodized 6061-T6 aluminum C-Hubs,steering blocks,rear hub carriers,axle nuts
- Adjustable front and rear swaybars with included optional extra-stiff swaybar set
- Officially-licensed BFGoodrich® Mud-Terrain™ T/A® Tires molded in S1 race compound
- Clear polycarbonate body with overspray film and window masks
- Die-cut decals with details and sponsor logos
- Choose your own transmitter, receiver, batteries, and charger (sold separately)
Cheap Brushless RC Cars
I’m a sucker for Exceed RC drift cars, on the low end I own both Exceed RC Electric DriftStar RTR Drift Car and Exceed RC 2.4Ghz MadSpeed Drift King Brushless Edition .But I prefer the MadSpeed Drift King as it comes with the brushless motor, fully assembled and ready to race. Top it off with foam bumper for added protection, oil filled shock, 3KG high torque steering servo, I’ve seen less visible damage and increased performance compared to Drfitstar RTR model.
It is a sleek looking car with sick metallic dark grey exterior with white decals,spoiler,working side view mirrors and exhaust.Top it with some working lights,blinkers and interior/underside glow lights, it sure gathers attention and fans. Apart from the showman ship ,its actually has a sturdy CNC aluminum upper deck and center drive to absorb any crashes.
Since out of box tires are hard plastic I would recommend upgrading the tires. I have clocked mine around 30Mph with street tires, additional batteries,upgraded charger,new shocks and few more tweaks.
- Type: 4WD Electric Drift Car
- Scale: 1/10
- Length: 17.32 in (440mm)
- Width: 7.48 in (190mm)
- Wheelbase: 10.20 in (259mm)
- Weight: 3.3 lb (1496.g)
- Chassis: Molded composite
- Suspension: Independent
- Tire Type: Drifting rubber
- Motor or Engine: High-performance 380 3000KV motor
- Speed Control: Hobbywing 35A ESC
- Radio: 2.4Ghz Pistol radio system
- Servos: 3KG.cm high-torque steering servo
- Kit/RTR: RTR
- Shock Type: Aluminum, coil-over oil filled
- Body: Prepainted Drift King body
- Ball Bearings: Complete
- Battery: 7.2v Ni-MH 1800mAh
**Charger is NOT INCLUDED**
With the World championship-winning HB D8 buggy as its foundation, the Vorza takes the race-winning design of the D8 and mixes it up with HPI Flux HP tech from the Savage Flux HP to give you awe-inspiring speed.
This speed buggy is all new upgraded version to its older model. It is tons of fun you can take it straight to any buggy track for top-level racing action – it will turn heads and amaze your friends! The Vorza has everything that backyard bashers and racers want!
This speed buggy will blow trough any terrain with adjustable suspensions and smooth performance, while the adjustable wing creates rear downforce for added traction and high speed stability.Loaded with HPI Flux blur ESC with fan,Oil-filled 16mm Big Bore aluminum bodied Shock Towers,6S LiPo capability,HPI brand 2.4GHz radio controlled and HPI Flux Tork 2200 kV brushless motor with aluminum casing.
- Input voltage: MIN 2s LiPo, MAX 6s LiPo
- Max continuous amperage: 120A (full throttle continuous operation with cooling airflow)
- BEC specifications: User selectable output between 5 and 7 volts
- Operating environment: Waterproof* design allows for use in nearly any environment.
- Brake: Proportional
- Reversible: Yes – with lockout
- Size: L 47mm (1.86″), W 56mm (2.19″), H 34mm (1.33″)
- Weight (without battery connector soldered to ESC): 111.5 g (3.93 oz)
We had to save the two best for the last! This right here is the top of the line RTR kit that will keep you smiling for however long that battery will let you operate. You can pound it, slam it or ram it…it’ll come back stronger and harder…ahem…we are still talking about the Traxxas X-Maxx monster truck.
Apart from its stunning looks, it’s unrelenting 4X4 power, mammoth size, and award-winning innovation make X-Maxx the ultimate monster truck. With 30+ volts of extreme 8S power, X-Maxx defies physics, unleashing jaw-dropping acceleration and 50+mph speeds. Engineered to conquer the most extreme terrain and take brutal real-world punishment in stride.
The modular chassis design is a interlocking design that keeps the motor and the gear drive together as a unit to virtually eliminate gear-crushing chassis flex. Yet its designed for eas of access for the owner to perform quick repairs and maintenance.
Enormous wheels and tires that provide a great grip with all terrain tread.Traxxas designed and engineered a special compound to help users enjoy full throttle tire squealing acceleration with out worrying about ripping the tire to shreds. Combined with enormous high performance oil filled aluminum shocks that helps with all terrain access and sick jumps.
Apart from the features mentioned above, there are plenty of new technologies and features that Traxxas X-MAxx offers such as unique shock tower design, motor mount with dual cooling fans, Suspension travel,waterproof from the start, double shear connections,impact cushions,torque-baising center drive, full contact sealed bearing, sealed off differentials, aluminum splined driveshaft, shock absorbing cush drive and a brand new CV driveshafts.
BUTTT…my favorite is the Self righting option: if flipped, with a click of button on the remote control. It’ll flip on to right side by itself. how cool is that?!
Here are some of the technical specs with pros and cons.
- Length: 30.67 inches
- ground clearence : 4 inches
- weight 19.1 lbs
- height: 13.79 inches
- wheelbase: 18.92 inches
- wheels: 4.3 x5.7 inches
- tires: 8×4 inches
- transmission: single-speed
- steering: bellcrank
- drive system: shft-drive 4WD
- servo: Torque: 365oz. Speed: 0.17 sec/ 60 degrees(6.0V)
- chassis structure/material: composite nylon tub
- INCLUDES: RTR X-Maxx Truck with Brushless Motor, Radio, ESC, Painted Body, Quick Start Guide and Maintenance Tools
- REQUIRES: Batteries-Two 3S LiPo 5000mAh or greater Battery Charger: Compatible with selected LiPo batteries Traxxas offers the #2990 Completer Pack
Traxxas XO-1 AWD Supercar received so much attention when it was first introduced into the market. I mean look at it! its such a beauty!! sleek design coupled with crazy top speed for an RTR, who wouldn’t want to own one?!
When the goal is 100+mph, “off the shelf” is out of the question. Traxxas partnered with Castle Creations to develop the Mamba Monster Extreme power system specifically for the unique power requirements of the XO-1. The proven Mamba Monster Extreme System has been enhanced for higher output when used with 6S LiPo power.
From its integrated capacitor bank to the proprietary software created just for XO-1, the Mamba Monster Extreme speed control represents the state-of-the-art in big-volt power delivery. The custom Traxxas Big Block brushless motor invites “cubic inches” to the party for massive acceleration and true supercar performance with the largest brushless motor ever offered in a Ready-To-Race model.
Along with the performance comes the technology, Traxxas has introduced first ever fusion of connecting their radio system to their Traxxas Link app. This allows for fine tuning your ride while cranking out the throttle. It also provides a graphical dashboard with read out gages in your app to record and monitor your performance.
Over all a kick as RC machine. Here are some of the technical specs along with pro’s and con’s
- Length: 27 inches
- Width: 11.61 inches front and 11.81 inches rear
- ground clearence: 0.59 inches
- weight ~10lbs
- height: 5 inches
- tire: Belted Slick (4.29″ x 1.7″ front, 4.29″ x 2″ rear)
- wheels: 3.3″ Split-Spoke (black-chrome) with 17mm splined hex
- Bold ProGraphx Painted Bodies
- Castle Mamba Monster Extreme Speed Control
- Traxxas Big Block Brushless Motor
- TQi 2.4GHz Radio System with Traxxas Link Wireless Module*
- Integrated speed, RPM, and voltage Telemetry System*
- Shock-Absorbing Cush Drive™
- Shaft-driven All Wheel Drive
- Machined 6061 Aluminum C-Hubs, Steering Knuckles, Axle Carriers, and Shock Towers
- Hard-anodized GTR Shocks
- Steel Splined (SS) dual-CV Driveshafts
- Required batteries and chargers: Two Traxxas Power Cell LiPo Batteries (LiPo, 3-Cell 5,000 mAh), 4 “AA” (transmitter), LiPo Battery Charger
RC Car Accessories
The available accessories range from fancy light kits to spoilers, or specialized decals. For those more interested in the mechanics, there are also add-on kits to enhance the drifting ability of the cars, such as improved rear differential and suspension.
Those who are skilled in auto mechanics as a trade or a hobby can do wonders with their radio controlled drift racing cars.
Hobbyists and enthusiasts should know that when purchasing a radio controlled cars/trucks, the same features should be desired as if looking for a real car.
Things to look for are proper body, it is sleeker enhances maneuverability and speed; quality adjustable shocks- shocks tend to wear out quickly if this item is skimped on; and while it is great to have an eye-catching design, for drift racing the design needs to also be sleek to make taking those corners easier.
Additionally, the car, just like a real life car, is going to run only as well as the quality of the chassis, which for optimum endurance the grade of plastic needs to be of the highest quality. However, whenever possible opt for metal or aluminum parts for longer lasting life and durability.
The best thing to remember when investing in a RC car/truck is that “you get what you pay for”. Money well spent in the beginning can save on repairs and/or replacements later on.
For the new buyer or racer, spend some time with other racers or in an actual store before going to the web to purchase. While yes, generally online prices are lower, and many with free shipping, some with no tax, it is best to get a literal feel of the product and get an up-close look at the detail.
Reading about a product and seeing and touching it are two different things.Joining a Facebook community or Meetup is also a good way to get into the exciting arena of radio controlled car racing.
Be advised, that like regular automobiles, and especially racing cars, these cars require maintenance. There are accessories available to improve performance and appearance. All of this can run into quite a bit of money. That is probably the best reason to get the car you want at the very beginning.
That being said, Enjoy and welcome to the world of RC Cars/trucks!!